Razorleaf Helpdesk: Help Us Help You
We regularly have clients ask us what information they should gather concerning a support issue, prior to calling the Razorleaf helpdesk. So we thought it made sense to answer that question publicly. Here’s how you can “help us, help you.”
There are a couple of key pieces of data we need for almost every helpdesk call we receive. We need to know a bit about your environment and we also need to know the details of the problem.
Below is a good list of information to include regarding your software environment:
- Product family you are experiencing the issue with (EPDM, SmarTeam, DriveWorks, SharePoint, etc.)
- Specific product or module your issue relates to (CAD Integration, SmarTeam Web Editor, etc.)
- Complete version of the software you are currently using (version, service pack, hot fix, etc.)
- Complete version of related/integrated software (like the CAD system), if applicable
- Server Operating system, if applicable (Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Server 2003 SP2, etc. – please be sure to include release or service pack information and if it is 32 or 64 bit)
- Client Operating System, if applicable (Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista, etc. – please be sure to include service pack information and if it is 32 or 64 bit)
This list is a good place to start when describing the the issue itself:
- Is the problem repeatable (can you reproduce/demonstrate the issue at will) or is it random?
- If it is repeatable, please include the steps needed to reproduce the issue.
- If the problem is not repeatable, is there a typical scenario or activity that seems to trigger the problem?
- Are you receiving any error messages? If so, please document the error and/or send a screen shot.
- Have you discovered a work around? If so, please describe how you work around the problem.
- In your opinion, do any other processes/programs seem to be related to the errors (Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, Media Players, etc.)?
- When the problem occurs, are you interacting with any other servers (Manufacturing, Email, ERP, Inventory, Employee Time Entry, etc.)?
- How serious is the problem? Is it a minor annoyance, a moderate problem (it can be worked around), or a major issue (system down or causes a great hardship)?
Not all of these questions will be relevant for every issue that you submit, but it is a great place to start. Giving us as much of this information as early as possible in the support process can help avoid confusion and help us get you better answers, faster. Having said all of this, never hesitate to call us if you need help (330.676.0022 option 2) – these tips should speed up the process but we’re happy to help regardless of your situation. If you’re an existing Razorleaf client, you can also access our technical support through our Client Access Portal.
Read more posts by Sean Kuner